Autumn is an exciting time in the kitchen. As the season changes from the hot Summer to the slightly cooler months, we see an influx of different vegetables and fruits.
This change gives us inspiration to creatively utilise ‘new’ Autumn ingredients in our menus and dishes. The following GF pasta dish uses late season summer zucchini and new season autumn pumpkin.
Some of my key cooking principals are used in this recipe:
- Go Seasonal – the food in season will always taste better as freshness and nutrient density can be guaranteed.
- Keep It Simple – simple dishes work best. A hand full of key ingredients cooked creatively always works.
- Find a Balance – aim to hit all the major flavour receptors while using a range of texture and temperature to create a winning dish.
- Always have fun – Dishes cooked with happiness, love and a smile are always the most nourishing for body and soul!
Dan Trewartha – Head Chef
GF Pasta with pumpkin, zucchini, lemon & chili
Pasta is a great source of readily digestible protein and carbohydrates which are an important part of a balanced diet. The flavour combinations with pasta are endless. The type of pasta used at Gaia is light and easy to digest, making it a regular favourite for our guests and chefs.
- 1 cup gluten free quinoa and brown rice penne pasta or pasta of choice such as spelt fettucine
- ½ kent pumpkin, skin removed, diced into 2cm pieces
- 2 small zucchinis, sliced into 2mm rounds
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup Broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 lemon, large, zested and juiced
- ½ cup ricotta
- 2 tbsp. grated regianno parmesan
- 2 garlic cloves sliced thinly
- Chili flakes to taste
- 2 tbsp. Pepitas, toasted
- Pumpkin seed oil
- ½ cup basil, leaves picked, then torn
- ½ cup flat parsley, leaves picked and shredded
- Preheat oven to 210c. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Toss pumpkin and broccoli florets separately in grapeseed oil and season. Roast on separate trays in oven until just tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Crumble ricotta in a bowl, season, and add lemon zest and shredded parsley. Mix well.
- Boil pasta until al-dente. Drain pasta reserving some of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile heat a large fry pan over medium heat. Add some grapeseed oil, garlic and chili flakes and sweat for a minute. Add zucchini slices, increase heat and sauté for 1 minute. Add pumpkin and broccoli. Add pasta and a few tablespoons of reserved cooking liquid, baby spinach and lemon juice to pan. Season, then toss pan to combine everything.
Spoon pasta into bowls, and top with parmesan and ricotta. Sprinkle pepita seeds over pasta, and drizzle with pumpkin seed oil. Scatter herbs over dish and serve.