Winter Tidy Hints
With Damo – Personal Trainer
The colder months are always the hardest to keep the motivation flowing. It’s always good to head to the gym with a friend, even if you can’t do a circuit try a light body weight sequence. A great start to the day is having lemon and hot water, which is a great antioxidant, then throw on your runners and go for a brisk walk. Every little bit you do today more than yesterday is better than nothing. Here is a little routine that I love to use for a basic bodyweight sequence. Do each of the following as indicated, rest as needed and replace the jumping lunges with regular lunges if jumping is not for you.
3 x 10 Squats – Place your feet wider than shoulder-width apart and squat. To make even more difficult, pause & “pulse” up & down 3 times at the bottom of each squat.
4 x 8 Jumping Lunges – Alternate legs with each jumping lunge, so you will be doing 4 on each leg per set.
3 x 10 Push-ups – Perform your push ups with a 3-count pause & hold when your elbows reach 90-degrees.
2 x 10 mountain climbers – Assume a press up position so your hands are directly under your chest at shoulder width apart with straight arms. Your body should form a straight line from your shoulders to your ankles. Lift your right foot off the floor and slowly raise your knee as close to your chest as you can. Return to the starting position and repeat with your left leg. Continue alternating for the desired number of reps.
3 x 10 Bicycle crunch – Sit with knees bent, heels flat on the floor, hands on either side of your head. Bring the right knee and left elbow towards one another, with a simple and gentle twist. Return to the start position. Complete the movement with the left knee and right elbow.
Remember… ‘summer bodies are made in winter’
With Danielle – Head Yoga Instructor
As the days and nights get cooler our body and it’s functions can start to slow down. To warm us up and get things going we can do 10-20 Sun Salutations in the morning. (see how to do a sequence on the image next to this post or here) Sun salutations are invigorating, strengthening, heating and grounding. A great way to start the day!
With Melanie – Day Spa Manager
Our skin can dry out easily with the cold winds of winter and become itchy, flaky and rough to touch. Slough off dead skin cells, boost circulation, and moisturize your body by exfoliating. You can do this with an exfoliation mitt or with a body scrub. See our Spicy Winter Chai body scrub recipe here.
HYGENIC WINTER HOME
With Lilian – Head House Keeper
Germs can take over in the household during winter. Keep your home clean and fresh by following a few simple home hygiene tips
- Wash hands with antibacterial wash/antibacterial wipes as soon as you arrive home and after using public transport or touching shopping trolleys etc.
- Give your children antibacterial gel to use at school or after being in public areas.
- Wipe door handles (especially the front door and bathroom) and frequently used items with a few drops of eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil on a damp cloth.
- Make an antibacterial room spray by placing 30 – 50 drops of a combination of eucalyptus, lavender, lemon or tea tree into a 120ml glass spray bottle and add distilled water or witch hazel. Spray into the air or on surfaces.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to your wash cycle and use hot water for bedding etc.
- Allow the house to air out during the day so that the air is not stagnant. Viruses cannot thrive in cooler weather so turn the heating off for periods and allow cool fresh air to fill the home.
- The sun’s rays naturally kill viruses and bacteria so open any curtains and doors to allow sunlight in the home.